Monday, October 19, 2009

Just another day in the global favela...

Wake up.

Sift a substance with a vague biochemical resemblance to coffee-grounds, pour water, turn on coffee-machine.

Try not to think about the telco bills I can't pay.

Try not to think about the car maintenance I can't afford.

Try not to think about the gum disease treatment I can't pay for.

Try not to think about the dental fillings which I don't have the money to replace.

Try not to think about the films/media/DVDs/videogames I can't afford to rent.

Try not to think about my $145,000+ in student loans at 7% interest taken out out of sheer necessity when Vampire Squid can borrow from Uncle Sam at 0%.

Try not to think about how neoliberalism terminated my first profession.

Try not to think about how I've lived for 23 years on less than $10,000/year in the midst of the most consumer-mad and overpriced capitalism on the planet.

Deep breath.

Pour coffee. Salt with powdered milk (1/4 price of fresh milk).

Ahhhhhh. To paraphrase Brecht, Kaffee ist für mich Produktionsmittel [coffee is my means of production]. Contemplate the toil which went into harvesting, drying, shipping and retailing those coffee beans. Note to self: less self-pity, more solidarity.

Begin writing.

"Data-proles of the world, unite... we have nothing to lose but our $40 trillion of debt..."

No comments:

Post a Comment