Thursday, August 16, 2012

Embers

I really should not be alive right now.

It should've ended in 2003. I should've been another statistic. Metal burned into rock. Blood outlasted by stone.

The thinnest of margins. Like becoming your own ghost. Abyssal void of the shadow-world. Formless, immiscible. 

Rescued by accident. An outsider to the empire, looking in, saw value in my words. More than value: the gleam of a horizon.

Like other sensitive souls, I could sense the death of the Empire, but could not name it, put the thing into words. Like most intellectuals, I blamed myself. Despair compounded by imperial hubris, replicating each speculative spiral of the shadow banking system with the egoism of a shadow concept-system. Baudelaire named the contradiction, without understanding it: "mon semblable, mon frere", the false equality proclaimed by the Second Emperor, the fiat identity-currency of imperial Orientalism.

Not the route I chose (or was chosen by).

What I have left are the memories of that despair. Still faintly glowing, like embers. Wreathed in ash, but they still burn to the touch. Waiting for the moment to spark anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment