Sunday, July 22, 2012

To All Documentary Filmmakers, Everywhere

Dear Documentary Filmmakers:


As a media teacher (my day job), I would love to watch your film and teach it to my class.
But I can't. That's because I am broke and cannot afford even the cheapest of paid streaming options.

Just like 99% of the people on this planet.

A reminder: WE ARE NOT BILLIONAIRES.

If you want to reach your audience, post a free version on Vimeo, Rutube, Youku, Youtube or some other free video service. Or put a low-res version on a torrent site and let us download it, 5K per second.

On the other hand, if you see your role as being the privileged courtier of the 1% and their pet foundations, then by all means, continue with your copyright fundamentalism. We won't be able to watch your film, and consequently, we will not care about whatever it is that you have to say.

As the sports fans like to say, the ball is in your court.


Yours sincerely,

-- Member of the 99%

No comments:

Post a Comment