Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Fustercluck Nation

Long ago, in what seems like another life, I visited Russia during the mid-1990s, the heyday of neoliberalism and the economic nadir of Russia's post-Soviet era. The immiseration and suffering of millions of ordinary people was starkly visible, but I also saw pride, spirit, and astounding tenacity. Russia had survived civil war, political repression, the unthinkable bloodletting of WW II (22 to 26 million Soviet citizens perished in that war, or roughly 20 million ethnic Russians), and the costly burden of a bloated military-industrial complex. It would survive neoliberalism, too.

One of the small details which struck me back then was the disruption of public services: the mail had almost stopped being delivered. You had to send things by private courier.

How things have changed. Today, in one of the great ironies of history, Russia has finally recovered, at precisely the moment America is entering its post-Cold War collapse.

Case 1: the local mail at the university town where I live is becoming increasingly unreliable. Mail wasn't being delivered properly, and then finally my rent check was lost in the mail. (From now on, I drop off rent payments in person).

Of course, when public services decline, they don't just fall apart overnight. What happens is that fiscal crises drive local authorities to try to capture revenue, by raising fees, imposing surcharges, or privatizing and monetizing previously free services.

Case 2: I took a wrong traffic turn while driving in a certain midwestern city. It was dark and raining like hell, but whatever, I'll pay the fine. Total bill: $88.80. What the hell? I didn't endanger any lives, didn't cause any accidents, didn't run any lights, didn't cut anyone off, wasn't in the wrong lane per se, just turned left at a major intersection. Thank goodness I wasn't speeding, otherwise I would've been on the hook for $300 or more.

Case 3: sending the check for the traffic ticket. I have to mail it to the courthouse, of course. So that means spending an extra $3.24 on certified mail, just to make sure the damn thing gets there.

$88.80 + $3.24 for certified mail + $20 late fee on rent = $112.04. As for my salary, let's just say I have to make do on about $10,000 a year.

These fees hurt. A lot.

And that's just one of my monthly bills for living in a fustercluck nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment